USL Group carries out distressed residential building investigations.
Reports include extent of damage findings, causes of distress and possible remedial measures.
Estimates of costs are also available.
USL Group conducts geotechnical training services in the field or in the client's laboratory.
Bookings can be arranged by email.
The fee is negotiable on a minimum of a 1/2 day basis.
Training will be conducted by Dominic Lopes.
Training notes can be provided.
Professional Geological and Geotechnical Experience (40 years)
Non professional Geological and Geotechnical Experience (10 years)
- Foundation Engineering.
- Slope Stability Investigations.
- Civil Works and stabilization of slopes.
- Timber Piling.
- Steel screw Piling.
- Geotechnical Research.
- 20 years part-time Geomechanics lecturer at Bendigo Institute of Technology, Homesglen, Swinburne TAFE & Swinburne University of Technology.
- Past corporate Member of the Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (1973-2012).
- Founding member and past Chair of the Foundation and Footings Society (Vic.) (1990-2011).
- Founding member and past Chair of the Foundation and Footings Society (Aus) (2006-2011)
- Founding member and past Chair of Housing Engineering, Design & Research Association (HEDRA) (2007-2016)
- Past Affiliate of the Institute of Building Surveyors (1979 - 1999)
- Member of the Australian Geomechanics Society (1977- present)
- Australian Standards Committee member from 1992-2011 for AS 2870
- Registered Buildings Practitioner - Civil Engineer, Victorian Building Authority.
- 1971 — Qualified in Applied Geology at Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology.
- 2000 — Received Master of Engineering by Research at Swinburne University of Technology.
- 2016 — Phd at Swinburne University submitted.
- 2017 -- Admitted to Phd Nov 2017
2016 Co-author — Australian Journal of Environmental Management, Soil Moisture Change and Land use in Victoria, Australia. (Submitted Dec. 2015, accepted for publication April 2016)
2015 Co-author — 9th Australian and New Zealand Conference on Geomechancis. - -"Thornthwaite Moisture Index as a guide to changes in land use"
2010 Co-author — Australian Geomechanics Society journal paper "Changes of Thornthwaite Total Moisture Change in Victoria from 1948-2007 and the Effect on Seasonal Foundation Movements"
2007 Institution of Engineers, Australia, Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol 3 No 1-2007 "A modified shrink/swell test to calculate the instability indices of clays"
2006 Australian Geomechanics Society Journal, Vol 14. "Characterisation of Victorian sites using a sign post shrinkage test with reference to geological & climate settings".
2004 "Case Study of an Investigation of a Damaged House in Brisbane", and "The Effect of Thornthwaite Moisture Index Changes on Ground Movements in Expansive Soils in Victoria, Australia."
2003 Conference on Problematic Soils - Notingham, United Kingdom - "The Effect of Thornthwaite Moisture Index Changes on Ground Movements in Expansive Soils in Victoria, Australia".
2001 Co-author — 6th Australian Masonry Converence, Adelaide. Paper titled "Matching Wall Articulation Methods to Expected Ground Movements".
1999 Co-author — 8th Australian and New Zealand Conference on Expansive Soils — Hobart. Paper titled "A Soil Index Test for the Classification of Building Sites for Light STructures on Expansive Soils"
1996 Co-author — 7th Australian and New Zealand Conference on Expansive Soils — Adelaide. Paper titled "Soil Index Method to Predict Ground Movements"
2010 Co-presenter at Australian Geomechanics Society seminar "Changes of Thornthwaite Total Moisture Change in Victoria from 1948-2007 and the Effect on Seasonal Foundation Movements".
2007-2016 Quarterly Building Seminars for Housing Engineering, Design & Research Association (HEDRA).
2006-2008 Foundation & Footings Society (Aus) Annual Geotechnical seminars.
1996-2006 Foundation & Footings Society (Vic.) Annual Geotechnical seminars.
1995 Swinburne Uiversity of Technology Seminar Series - "Soil Index Methods to Predict Ground Movements".
1994 Swinburne University of Technology Seminar Series. Paper title -- "Characteristics of Expansive Soils and the Prediction of their Performance."
1993 Australian Geomechanics Society Seminar, title -- "The Use of Geology in Site Classifications"
1988-1994 Building courses for the Housing Industry Association (Vic.) & Master Builders Association (Vic).
1977 -1990 Sessional lecturer in Geomechanics to Building Surveyors at Swinburne & Homesglen T.A.F.E.
1991 - 1997 Sessional lecturer in Geomechanics to final year Engineering students Swinburne University of Technology.