D. Lopes — Brief C.V. 2016
Professional Geological and Geotechnical Experience (40 years)
Non professional Geological and Geotechnical Experience (10 years)
- Foundation Engineering.
- Slope Stability Investigations.
- Civil Works and stabilization of slopes.
- Timber Piling.
- Steel screw Piling.
- Geotechnical Research.
- 20 years part-time Geomechanics lecturer at Bendigo Institute of Technology, Homesglen, Swinburne TAFE & Swinburne University of Technology.
- Past corporate Member of the Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (1973-2012).
- Founding member and past Chair of the Foundation and Footings Society (Vic.) (1990-2011).
- Founding member and past Chair of the Foundation and Footings Society (Aus) (2006-2011)
- Founding member and past Chair of Housing Engineering, Design & Research Association (HEDRA) (2007-2016)
- Past Affiliate of the Institute of Building Surveyors (1979 - 1999)
- Member of the Australian Geomechanics Society (1977- present)
- Australian Standards Committee member from 1992-2011 for AS 2870
- Registered Buildings Practitioner - Civil Engineer, Victorian Building Authority.
- 1971 — Qualified in Applied Geology at Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology.
- 2000 — Received Master of Engineering by Research at Swinburne University of Technology.
- 2016 — Phd at Swinburne University submitted.
- 2017 -- Admitted to Phd Nov 2017
2016 Co-author — Australian Journal of Environmental Management, Soil Moisture Change and Land use in Victoria, Australia. (Submitted Dec. 2015, accepted for publication April 2016)
2015 Co-author — 9th Australian and New Zealand Conference on Geomechancis. - -"Thornthwaite Moisture Index as a guide to changes in land use"
2010 Co-author — Australian Geomechanics Society journal paper "Changes of Thornthwaite Total Moisture Change in Victoria from 1948-2007 and the Effect on Seasonal Foundation Movements"
2007 Institution of Engineers, Australia, Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol 3 No 1-2007 "A modified shrink/swell test to calculate the instability indices of clays"
2006 Australian Geomechanics Society Journal, Vol 14. "Characterisation of Victorian sites using a sign post shrinkage test with reference to geological & climate settings".
2004 "Case Study of an Investigation of a Damaged House in Brisbane", and "The Effect of Thornthwaite Moisture Index Changes on Ground Movements in Expansive Soils in Victoria, Australia."
2003 Conference on Problematic Soils - Notingham, United Kingdom - "The Effect of Thornthwaite Moisture Index Changes on Ground Movements in Expansive Soils in Victoria, Australia".
2001 Co-author — 6th Australian Masonry Converence, Adelaide. Paper titled "Matching Wall Articulation Methods to Expected Ground Movements".
1999 Co-author — 8th Australian and New Zealand Conference on Expansive Soils — Hobart. Paper titled "A Soil Index Test for the Classification of Building Sites for Light STructures on Expansive Soils"
1996 Co-author — 7th Australian and New Zealand Conference on Expansive Soils — Adelaide. Paper titled "Soil Index Method to Predict Ground Movements"
2010 Co-presenter at Australian Geomechanics Society seminar "Changes of Thornthwaite Total Moisture Change in Victoria from 1948-2007 and the Effect on Seasonal Foundation Movements".
2007-2016 Quarterly Building Seminars for Housing Engineering, Design & Research Association (HEDRA).
2006-2008 Foundation & Footings Society (Aus) Annual Geotechnical seminars.
1996-2006 Foundation & Footings Society (Vic.) Annual Geotechnical seminars.
1995 Swinburne Uiversity of Technology Seminar Series - "Soil Index Methods to Predict Ground Movements".
1994 Swinburne University of Technology Seminar Series. Paper title -- "Characteristics of Expansive Soils and the Prediction of their Performance."
1993 Australian Geomechanics Society Seminar, title -- "The Use of Geology in Site Classifications"
1988-1994 Building courses for the Housing Industry Association (Vic.) & Master Builders Association (Vic).
1977 -1990 Sessional lecturer in Geomechanics to Building Surveyors at Swinburne & Homesglen T.A.F.E.
1991 - 1997 Sessional lecturer in Geomechanics to final year Engineering students Swinburne University of Technology.